Crespillos, borage leaves turned in batter and deep-fried, are a speciality of Barbastro in Aragon and the protagonist of a gastronomic festival in the capital of the Comarca Somontano.
Enjoyed in early spring, they are said to ensure fertility in the fields and in the bed.
- Beat the eggs, flour, milk and aniseed schnapps into a dough.
- Turn the borage leaves in it and deep-fry them in hot oil on both sides.
- Drain on a kitchen towel.
- Chop the mint and mix with the sugar.
- Sprinkle the mint-sugar mixture over the leaves while they are still warm.
Ingredients (for 4 people)
40 borage leaves
125 gr flourl
75 ml Milk
50 ml aniseed schnapps
2 El Sugar
Oil for frying