Pastéis de Bacalhau
The salted cod, dried in the Atlantic air, is considered the provisions of the explorers, without which Vasco da Gama would never have reached the sea route to India and there would have been no Portuguese world empire.
No wonder that stockfish - bacalhau - is the national dish of the Portuguese. It is said that the country's cuisine knows more than a thousand ways of preparing it. One of the tastiest: cod croquettes.
- Soak the fish for 24 hours, changing the water frequently, remove the bones and skin. Bring to the boil in a pot of water.
- Remove the fish and leave to cool, meanwhile cook the jacket potatoes.
- Mash the potato to a pulp, tear the cod into small pieces, add the chopped onions and parsley.
- Season with a pinch of nutmeg, add eggs and wine and mix. Salt if necessary.
- Form oblong croquettes with two spoons and fry in hot oil (160 degrees) until golden brown. Serve with lemon slices.
Ingredients (for 2 people)
400 g Stockfish
400 g potatoes
1 bunch parsley
0,1 l white wine
oil for frying