Risotto all’ Isolana
Rice has been grown in the marshes of Bassa Verones since the 15th century. The local variety - Vialone Nano Veronese - is particularly suitable for melting risotto dishes.
One of the most popular in the region is risotto all'isolana - with veal, pork loin and a hint of cinnamon.
The chefs at the Fiera del Riso in Isola della Scala distribute around 300,000 portions of it to hungry visitors every year.
- Cut the meat into small cubes, season with salt and pepper and leave to marinate for an hour.
- Melt butter in the casserole, add a sprig of rosemary and sear the meat.
- Remove rosemary, add rice with one or two ladles of hot broth.
- Simmer rice and meat over moderate heat. Keep stirring and add a little broth if necessary. The rice must not swim in the liquid.
- Just before the end of cooking, stir in the cheese. Season to taste with salt, pepper and a pinch of cinnamon.
Ingredients (for 4 persons)
400 g Rice of the variety Vialone Nano Veronese
0,8 l hot broth
100 glean veal
100 g Pork loin
60 g butter
60 g Grana Padano
1 Twig of rosemary
Pepper, salt, and cinnamon