In late summer, groups of people gather around several small campfires throughout Hungary.
Over them, in large enamel kettles, roast halázlé: fish soups. Depending on the region and the angler's luck, catfish and perch, sterlet or sturgeon go into the cauldron; a large piece of carp is always a must.
Which one is the best is judged by an experienced jury of fishermen, professional and amateur chefs. Subsequently, the competition entries are distributed to the participants and visitors.
- Clean, bone and cut the fish into coarse pieces, keeping the rye and fish milk.
- Remove the bitter tooth from the head of the carp. Boil the heads, middle bones and fins with the onion rings in a pot of water.
- Add rose peppers and simmer for about an hour.
- Then strain the soup and put it in a pot with the fish pieces.
- Add roe and fish milk, chopped tomatoes and peppers and cook over high heat for about 15-20 minutes.
- Do not stir the fish soup, just swirl the pot.
Ingredients (for 4 persons)
1,5 kg Fish
(e.g. catfish, perch, sterlet, half must be carp)
3 large onions
3 medium tomatoes
3 bell peppers
3 tablespoons rose paprika powder
3 hot cherry peppers