Frico with potatoes
It weighed 300 kilos - and baked in a pan three metres in diameter: the largest frico in the world, made by the Udine chefs' association at the Caseus Veneti cheese festival. But even small, the national dish of Friuli - a crispy flat cake of Montasio cheese, sometimes enriched with onions and potatoes, sometimes with pears - is a delight.
- Sauté the diced onions in butter, add the thinly sliced potatoes.
- Pour in the stock and cook the potatoes until done.
- When the liquid in the pan has reduced, add the grated cheese.
- Leave to brown until a brown crust forms around the edges, keep draining off the fat.
- Serve hot under a bed of rocket.
Ingredients ( for 4 people)
2 large onions
1 l vegetable stock
800 gr. Montasio-Cheesee