It's all in the mix: Cacciucco
What the fishmongers from Livorno couldn't sell ended up in the pot in the evening with tomatoes and old white bread. Today, the leftovers of the poor people have become the most popular fish soup in Tuscany, to which a festival is dedicated in Livorno.
The fish and seafood used may vary according to the season. More importantly, no ingredient should dominate! No more than half and never less than ten percent of a type of fish or shrimp is the strict rule for balanced taste.
- Sauté the garlic, peperoncino and sage in a large pot.
- Add some tomato sauce and the octopus to the pot.
- After about 20 minutes, add the squid and red wine and simmer for a few minutes.
- Add the rest of the tomato sauce and the remaining seafood and fish and simmer for about 30 minutes. Only now add salt.
- Rub lightly toasted bread with garlic and place in the bowls or. Spread one portion of cacciucco over each bread and serve.
Ingredients ( for 2 persons)
Octopus, squid, grasshopper crab, smooth dogfish, gurnard and scorpion fish (2 kg in total)
400 gr. strained tomatoes
4 cloves of garlic, a handful of sage, peperoncino, salt
1 glass of red wine
stale white bread from Tuscany